Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
- 1 medium cucumber
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1 large green pepper
- 1⁄2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup Greek olives or 1⁄2 cup common black olives
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb squid, tubes cut into 1/2 inch rings
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- Cut the cucumber in half lengthwise, then again into quarters and finally crosswise into small chunks.
- Core the tomatoes, then cut each into quarters, then cross into small chunks.
- Cut the core from the green pepper, and removed and discard the seeds and ribs inside.
- Cut the pepper lengthwise into 1-inchstrips, then across into chunks.
- Put the cucumber, tomato, green pepper, onion and olives in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, oil, oregano, a small pinch of salt and a generous pinch of pepper.
- Stir vigorously with a fork and taste the dressing for seasoning.
- Set aside.
- Bring a medium pan of salted water to a boil, add the squid rings and cook for 30 seconds.
- Drain immediately, rinse with cold water and drain again thoroughly.
- Add the squid rings to the bowl of vegetables and pour over the dressing.
- Stir gently to coat all the ingredients evenly with dressing; when squid is slightly warm it absorbs more flavors from the dressing.
- Sprinkle with the feta and set aside for about 1 hour, or let cool completely and pack into airtight containers for your picnic.