From Christine Cushing. This is one of her family favourites. The fennel adds a nice crisp texture to the salad.
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried greek oregano
- 1⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 2 tomatoes, cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 1 -2 fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup black olives, pitted
- Whisk together lemon juice and apple cider vinegar. Drizzle in the olive oil, stirring until blended. Season the dressing with salt & pepper and oregano. Add pinch of cayenne if desired.
- In a large bowl, combine the onions, cucumbers, red pepper, tomatoes, fennel and olives. (Fennel can be sliced thin using a mandolin) Toss with the dressing.
Awesome use of one of my Great-Grandfather Frank Scavo's favorites ... fennel. This is a delicious alternative to an everyday salad, but is just as simple and easy. Loved it! I used Greek Olives and added a bit of teta cheese.