Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipes is from the South Beach Diet Cookbook by Arthur Agatston. This is for phase 1.
- 8 leaves romaine lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and sliced
- 1 tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sliced red onion
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Combine the lettuce, cucumber, tomato, onion and cheese in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the oil, lemon juice, oregano, and salt in a small bowl.
- Pour over the lettuce mixture and toss until coated.
I LOVE this salad. I, too, got it from the SBD book. It has become a lunch staple for me. I didn't much care for the dressing as it was so I experimented a little. I added a few dashes of balsamic vinegar and tossed it into the salad with the rest of the mixture. I am a huge fan of Olive Garden's salad (never go there anymore b/c so many carbs), and that is what it tastes like to me. Instead of feta, I used shredded low fat parmesan. Very yummy! Also, there is no measurement for the lemon juice on this recipe but it is supposed to be 2 tablespoons of lemon juice. FABULOUS SALAD! I make this at least 2 times a week for lunch!
Overall, we enjoyed the combination in the salad, just didn't care for the dressing. There is no amount listed for lemon juice. The amount of dried oregano was way too much for us, so I made another serving and increased the oil, decreased the oregano to 1/2 tbls. and used the juice of one lemon. Still didn't care for it that much. Made for PAC Spring 08. Thanks