Little Bee's Note:
On the menu in every Greek restaurant and many non-Greek restaurants as well, this salad has many individual variations, but here are the basics to work from. This is the traditional version that does not include lettuce. This is the way they made it in the Greek restaurant I worked in. They claimed this is the most traditional. All I know is that it is fresh and delicious!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 -5 large ripe tomatoes
- 1 large red onion
- 1 cucumber
- 1 green bell peppers or 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1/4 lb feta cheese, sliced (Or crumbled)
- dried oregano
- sea salt
- top quality extra virgin olive oil
- 1 dozen kalamata olives or 1 dozen green cretan olive, etc., Pitted
- pickled hot pepperoncini pepper (garnish)
- 1 tablespoon water
- anchovy (optional)
- capers (optional)
- 1Wash and dry the tomatoes, cucumber, and green pepper. Clean off the outer skin from the onion, wash, and dry.
- 2Cut the tomatoes into bite-sized irregularly shaped chunks, removing the core. Salt lightly.
- 3Slice the cucumber into 1/4-inch slices, cutting slices in half (whether or not you peel the cucumber is a personal choice). Salt lightly. Slice the pepper into rings, removing the stem and seeds. Salt lightly. Slice the onion into thin rings.
- 4Combine the tomatoes, cucumbers, green pepper and onion in a large salad bowl. Sprinkle with oregano, pour olive oil over the salad, and toss. Just before serving, place the feta on top of the salad, either as a slice or crumbled (as in photo), and toss in some olives. Sprinkle the cheese with oregano (and pepper if desired), mix the oil and water and drizzle over the top, and serve, garnished with hot peppers.
- 5*Anchovies: if you like this salty fish, add a couple to the salad before tossing.
- 6For Vegetarian do NOT use the anchovies.
- 7Capers: toss in a few if you like them.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Greek Salad (Horiatiki Salata)
Serving Size: 1 (246 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 156.0
- Calories from Fat 71
- Total Fat 7.9 g
- Saturated Fat 4.5 g
- Cholesterol 25.3 mg
- Sodium 445.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 9.5 g
- Protein 6.8 g