Recipe by FLUFFSTER
This is a great and simple salad. It's made of tomatoes, cucumbers, red onion, Kalamata olives and green bell peppers, just to name a few. A fabulous vinaigrette follows. Regarding the fresh herbs, strip the leaves from the stems and chop.
Top Review by kim-phil
Yum!!! A great recipe. While there lots of effort needed to prepare the salad; the preparation is not difficult. I didn't and wouldn't change the recipe. The result was a super salad. Golden stars to Fluffster.
- 2 lbs medium tomatoes, ripe, chopped
- 2 medium cucumbers, peeled, chopped
- 2 green bell peppers, cut into pieces
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 6 ounces feta cheese
- 3⁄4 cup kalamata olive (or other Greek olives)
For the vinaigrette
- 3 -5 sprigs of fresh mint
- 3 -5 sprigs fresh oregano
- 7 -10 sprigs parsley
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- For the vinaigrette:.
- Coarsely chop the herbs that have been stripped from the stems. In a smll bowl, whisk together the red wine vinegar, salt and pepper. Gradually whisk in the oil so that the viniagrette dressing emulsifies and thickens slightly.
- Add the chopped herbs, then whisk the dressing again and test for seasonings.
- For the salad:.
- Core and chop the tomatoes into 1-inch pieces. Peel the cucumbers; cut each cucumber length-wise. Scoop out the seeds with a teaspoon, discard the seeds. Cut the cucumber halves lengthwise into 2-3 strips, then gather the strips together and cut them crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Cut bell pepper in half, then half again. Be sure to discard the seeds, and slice into strips.Be sure to cut out any of the white ribs.Cut each strip into dice.
- Peel and trim the red onion. Cut the onion cross-wise into thin rings. Separate the rings.
- Cut the feta cheese into 1/2-inch strips. Gather the strips together and cut cross-wise into cubes.
- Put the tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers and onion in a large bowl. Briskly whisk the herb vinaigrette and pour it over the top of the salad. With a large metal spoon toss the vegetables thoroughly in the herb vinaigrette dressing.
- Add the olives and the feta cheese to the vegetables and gently toss again. Taste for seasonings.
- Allow the flavors to mellow before serving, about 30 minutes.