Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe was printed in a magazine many years ago in an article with a menu and recipes for a Greek Gourmet Dinner Party. I've made it numerous times, sometimes adding grilled chicken breast or cold boiled and peeled shrimp for a complete dinner. It's one of our favorites during the hot, humid summers here in Texas!
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 head romaine lettuce (about 2 lbs., or mixed greens such as escarole and chicory lettuce)
- 8 radishes, sliced
- 2 tomatoes, cut in wedges
- 1⁄2 red onion, thinly sliced and separated
- 1 cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 1 green pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 1⁄4 lb feta cheese
- 1⁄4 lb ripe Greek olive
- 1 (2 ounce) can anchovy fillets
- In a jar with a tight-fitting lid combine all dressing ingredients.
- Cover and shake well to blend; shake again when ready to dress salad.
- *Can be prepared ahead to this point. Cover and refrigerate up to two days.
- In large salad bowl, tear greens into bite-sized pieces.
- * Can be prepared ahead to this point. Cover with a damp paper towel; refrigerate up to 24 hours. Wrap vegetables separately in plastic wrap or bags. Refrigerate up to six hours.
- Just before serving, add vegetables to greens and toss.
- Add cheese, olives, and anchovies.
- Toss with enough dressing to make the lettuce glisten or serve the dressing on the side.