Recipe by Lorac
Not your everyday spinach salad! Good things take time and this salad is worth every minute. Serve with grilled meat, chicken or fish and crusty bread for a fantastical dinner! Prep time does not include marination.
Top Review by Liynaa
This salad was fantastic! Even my 9 year old, who doesn't like tomatoes or cooked onions, liked it very much! My three year old even ate it happily, and he doesn't normally like spinach! I served it with grilled chicken breast that I'd marinated in balsamic vinegar, garlic, oregano, marjoram, salt, and pepper. I plopped the chicken on top of the salad and then topped the chicken with the cheese. Fantastic! I will definitely be making this one again! Thank you!
- 6 1⁄2 ounces halloumi cheese (or fresh Mozzarella)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 8 roma tomatoes, halved
- 1 small red onion, cut into 8 wedges,with base intact
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, divided
- fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 6 ounces baby spinach leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut cheese into 1/2 inch thick lenghtwise slices.
- Mix oil, garlic and herbs in a shallow dish, add cheese, cover and marinate 1 to 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- PLace onions and tomatoes on a baking sheet, drizzle with 2 tbls of the extra virgin olive oil, 1 tbls balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Bake 30 to 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat, drain the cheese and cook for 1 minute each side or until golden brown.
- Divide spinach among 4 serving plates, top with toamatoes and onions.
- Whisk together the remaining oil and vinegar and drizzle over the salad.
- Top with Haloumi and serve.