Recipe by evelyn/athens
A delicious, simple, Paula Wolfert recipe. Serve with lots of crusty bread. You can make things easy on yourself by getting the bags of ready-cleaned spinach.
Top Review by appleydapply
This was delicious! I agree with another reviewer who thought it was time-consuming. I bought bagged spinach, but all the steps still took a lot of time. To simplify one step, I used a tablespoon of tomato paste instead of boiling down puree. The amount of spinach in the recipe might be wrong. I used somewhat less than a pound, and when it was chopped and pressed into a cup, it was 4 cups. So I did not use the remainder of the spinach I had bought!
- 2 lbs fresh spinach, washed and tough stems removed
- sea salt
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced scallion
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped onions or 3⁄4 cup leek
- 1⁄2 cup fresh tomato puree, reduced by boiling to 3 tablespoons
- 1⁄2 cup long-grain rice
- 1⁄4 cup chopped dill
- fresh ground black pepper
- kalamata olive (to garnish)
- chunks feta cheese or of thick Greek yogurt (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash the spinach and tender stems until the water runs clean; drain.
- If leaves are large and crinkly, sprinkle lightly with salt and mix well.
- Let stand in a colander 15 minutes; rinse and squeeze out excess moisture.
- Shred the spinach to make about 3 cups.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of the olive oil in a 10-inch straight-sided skillet.
- Add the scallions, onions, a pinch of salt, and 1/4 cup water and cook, covered, over medium-low heat for 10 minutes.
- When the water evaporates, slowly let the onions turn golden, stirring occasionally.
- Add 1 cup water, the reduced tomato purée, and rice.
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Spread the spinach and dill over the rice, cover, and cook 10 minutes longer.
- Remove from heat, mix, then place a double thickness of paper toweling over the rice, cover again, and let stand until cool.
- Adjust the seasoning with black pepper and salt and drizzle with the remaining tablespoon olive oil.
- Note: This is delicious served at room temperature garnished with black olives and feta cheese or yogurt.