Recipe by Shuzbud
This is a quick and simple rice salad. The creamy feta blends beautifully with the black olives. If you leave out the cucumber, this is also lovely served warm. I like the flavour as it is but if you don't like vinaigrette tart, feel free to reduce the amount of red wine vinegar to 2 tablespoons.
Top Review by appleydapply
This was delicious. It made 4 servings so the calorie count on the recipe is too high, thankfully. :) I reduced the vinegar to 2T, used kalamata olives, and left out the cucumber because I forgot to buy one.
- 1 cup long grain white rice, uncooked
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 cup cubed feta cheese (or more if you like!)
- 12 pitted black olives, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup finely cubed cucumber
For the vinaigrette
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried ground oregano
- salt and pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the rice in the hot water, simmering over a low heat in a covered pan for around 20 minutes, until all the water has been absorbed.
- When the rice is fully cooked, remove from the heat and allow to cool, for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the vinaigrette- in a bowl, beat the olive oil and red wine vinegar until they are completely blended. Add the ground oregano and salt and pepper to taste.
- When the rice is cool, add the cubed feta, black olives, cucumber and vinaigrette.
- Stir to mix and put in the fridge for 30 minutes before serving to allow the flavours to blend.