Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe for a delicious and easy rice side dish came from Michael at Gail’s Recipe Swap, and I’ve fiddled with it a little. Although I don’t get to eat rice often, this one looks so tasty I have to put it here for safe keeping when I get to splurge! :)
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups low sodium chicken broth or 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3⁄4 cup diced onion
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano or 2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano
- 6 cups fresh Baby Spinach, washed and spun dry (if you use grown spinach, remove stems and coarsely chop it, too)
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- Over medium heat in a saucepan, combine the rice, broth, and water, and bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce the heat to medium low, and let simmer for 15 to 18 minutes or until the rice has absorbed the liquid; transfer to a serving bowl and keep warm.
- In a skillet over medium heat, melt the olive oil and butter together, then add the onion, mushrooms, and garlic for 5 to 7 minutes, then stir in the lemon juice and oregano.
- Add the spinach and pepper, then sprinkle with the sherry and toss until the spinach is slightly wilted; remove from heat.
- Add the crumbled feta and toss until the cheese begins to melt.
- Add to the cooked rice, toss well, and serve immediately.
This was awesome. I followed the recipe except that I didn't have any dry sherry so I used rice wine. We loved it and it wasn't too salty from the feta; it was just the right amount of salt. I didn't have to add any and I usually DO. Thanks for posting!
Delicious and easy recipe. I did make some changes by adding some diced red bell peppers and mozerella cheese (did not have fetta on hand).Also I sauted the vegetables with the rice then added the stock and finished off cooking it in the oven. Next time I will try it with the fetta and maybe some chopped fresh tomato.
I threw all these ingredients pluse 3/4 cup of water into my rice maker...and bum- DELISH!! I will be making this again.