Recipe by evelyn/athens
Top Review by love4culinary
Well, I made this twice! First time I made it exactly as stated and it was good. However, I felt like something (FOR MY TASTES :-) ) was missing. So the next day I made it again using a bit of vanilla and a tad bit more sugar. HEAVEN! This is a marvelous recipe evelyn...I am very thankful that I found it. The lemon peel really adds such a marvelous flavor to the pudding, and I love the cinnamon sprinkled on top :-) thanks for this recipe!!!!! it'sa keepa!
- 1⁄2 cup short grain white rice (a starchy rice, like arborio)
- 3 cups whole milk
- peel of 1 lemon, removed in one long strip
- 1⁄3 cup white sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cornflour (cornstarch is the same thing)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place milk, sugar and lemon peel (just the peel - none of the pith) in a heavy saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly until sugar melts. Reduce heat to low and add the rice.
- Cover the pan and cook until the rice/milk mixture has gone thick and creamy (about 30-35 minutes).
- Turn off heat. Remove lemon peel and discard.
- Whisk together egg yolks with corn flour.
- Quickly whisk egg yolks into the rice mixture, stirring well. (If you want to, at this point you can also add a 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract). Keep stirring to make sure yolks are incorporated and won't curdle.
- Spoon pudding into four serving dishes and cool. Top with a sprinkling of cinnamon.