1/2 Photos of Greek Rice and Shrimp Bake With Feta Crumb Topping
This Greek spin on the classic baked rice casserole calls for shrimp, but chicken can also be used. Cut three large boneless chicken breasts into cubes and brown first in oil in a hot skillet before adding to cooked rice. If you plan on doubling the recipe, use 2 1/2 cups (625 mL) rice and only 4 1/2 cups (1.125 L) stock. From Food and Drink.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 1/4 cups long-grain white rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 2 large tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1 lb large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails removed
Feta Crumb Topping
- 1Place stock and bay leaf in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
- 2Add rice; return to a boil.
- 3Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until rice is just tender.
- 4Add lemon juice, butter and 1/2 the oregano.
- 5Stir well and remove from heat, let cool to room temperature.
- 6Remove bay leaf.
- 7Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- 8Cook onion, garlic, hot-pepper flakes and the rest of the oregano , stirring, for 4 minutes or until softened.
- 9Add tomatoes and red pepper; cook for 3 minutes until softened.
- 10Stir in rice and spread in a greased 10-cup shallow casserole dish. If making ahead, cover and refrigerate.
- 11Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 12Bury shrimp in rice.
- 13Combine bread crumbs, feta and parsley in a bowl; spread over rice.
- 14Bake in oven for 25 to 30 minutes until shrimp are pink and topping is light golden.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Greek Rice and Shrimp Bake With Feta Crumb Topping
Serving Size: 1 (545 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 669.4
- Calories from Fat 191
- Total Fat 21.2 g
- Saturated Fat 8.2 g
- Cholesterol 209.6 mg
- Sodium 875.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 78.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 10.2 g
- Protein 39.4 g