Recipe by ~Leslie~
This Greek spin on the classic baked rice casserole calls for shrimp, but chicken can also be used. Cut three large boneless chicken breasts into cubes and brown first in oil in a hot skillet before adding to cooked rice. If you plan on doubling the recipe, use 2 1/2 cups (625 mL) rice and only 4 1/2 cups (1.125 L) stock. From Food and Drink.
Top Review by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is simply wonderful! I increased the garlic, oregano and lemon juice and also added in cayenne pepper, I made this for my DS who loved it! thanks for sharing Les!...Kitten:)
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 1⁄4 cups long-grain white rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 2 large tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1 lb large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails removed
Feta Crumb Topping
- 3⁄4 cup soft fresh breadcrumb
- 3⁄4 cup crumbled feta
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Place stock and bay leaf in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Add rice; return to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until rice is just tender.
- Add lemon juice, butter and 1/2 the oregano.
- Stir well and remove from heat, let cool to room temperature.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Cook onion, garlic, hot-pepper flakes and the rest of the oregano , stirring, for 4 minutes or until softened.
- Add tomatoes and red pepper; cook for 3 minutes until softened.
- Stir in rice and spread in a greased 10-cup shallow casserole dish. If making ahead, cover and refrigerate.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Bury shrimp in rice.
- Combine bread crumbs, feta and parsley in a bowl; spread over rice.
- Bake in oven for 25 to 30 minutes until shrimp are pink and topping is light golden.