Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Adapted from Hunter, Angler, Gardener, Cook blog.
- 2 fryer rabbits, cut up
- kosher salt
- 2 medium red onions, sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 10 allspice berries
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (14 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1⁄2 cup sweet red wine
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- Cut up rabbits into serving pieces. Use the little bits like kidneys, liver, bellies, etc., too. Salt and set aside 30 minutes, unless already brined.
- Heat 1/4 c olive oil in frying pan and brown rabbit pieces well. Remove pieces to a dutch oven or other heavy, lidded pan.
- Saute onions 4-5 minutes over medium high heat. Add garlic and saute another minute. Sprinkle with salt.
- Place sauted onions and garlic over rabbit pieces in dutch oven, then place allspice berries, cinnamon stick, oregano, and bay leaves on top.
- In frying pan, combine tomatoes, wines, vinegar, stock, and tomato paste. Cook down over high heat for about 4 minutes. Pour over rabbit pieces.
- Cover dutch oven and bring contents to a simmer. Cook slowly 1-2 hours until meat is falling off the bone.
- Serve with freshly ground black pepper and a drizzle of olive oil.