Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Qinoa (keen-wah) cooks like rice but has many other healthy properties, including being gluten-free.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 cup kalamata olive, pitted
- 1 bunch scallion
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 7 ounces fat-free crumbled feta cheese
- 1⁄2 red onion, sliced in rings
- salt and pepper
- Bring 2 cups water to boil in a medium saucepan. Add quinoa, cover tightly and reduce to a simmer. Cook 15 minutes or until quinoa is almost translucent. Once cooking is finished, cool the quinoa in the freezer for 15 minutes while preparing the other ingredients.
- In a small bowl combine olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, and garlic. Toss with quinoa.
- Place scallions, cucumber slices, grape tomatoes, red onion, feta cheese and kalamata olives together in a large bowl, add quinoa and gently toss everything together. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
This is a fresh-tasting, healthy salad. I used a cuke and tomatoes from my garden. I found the dressing to be a little too lemony for my tastes. There is another Greek quinoa salad recipe that I like that uses 1/4 cup (versus 3/4 cup) of lemon juice with 2 Tb olive oil and this seems about right to me. All in all, though this was a nice lunch. Thanks!