Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This dessert takes some effort, but is worth it. I got it from The Cookbook of the Jews of Greece by Nicholas Stavroulakis
- Cook the puree with the sugar in the top of a double boiler until very thick.
- Stir in cinnamon and walnuts.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lay out 1 sheet of phyllo dough, brush lightly with melted butter or olive oil.
- Cover with a second sheet of dough and brush lightly with butter or oil.
- Using a pastry tube or other convenient technique, place a pencil-thin line of the pumpkin filling along the length of the phyllo dough sheet just inside the edge.
- Fold the edge over to completely cover the pumpkin filling.
- Continue rolling the phyllo dough into a long thin tube.
- Brush lightly with butter or oil as you roll.
- Take one end of the roll and coil up, taking care not to make the coil so tight that it breaks.
- Arrange the coils so they are close together but not touching on an oiled baking sheet.
- If desired, brush completed coil with egg white.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes, or until golden brown.