Prep 20 mins
Cook 48 mins
As the weather turns chilly, my tastes immediately turn to comforting stews and thick soups. Though I am not a vegetarian, I enjoy having meatless meals a couple of times a week. Saw this one on cooking Light and wanted to post it for future reference. For those on the WW Core program, the stew is Core plus points for the feta garnish.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cups onions, chopped
- 1 cup potato, peeled and cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 1⁄2 cups zucchini, cut into 1/2 inch thick slices
- 2 1⁄2 cups green beans (cut into 2 or 2 1/2 inch pieces)
- 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh dill, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup reduced-fat feta cheese, crumbled
- Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté 5 minutes or until onions are lightly browned.
- Add potato and water, bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and cook 5 minutes.
- Stir in zucchini, green beans, tomatoes and white beans. Cover and cook 35 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in parsley, dill, oregano, and pepper.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with cheese.
In all honesty, this was going to be a 4 star recipe for me...THEN I tried a bite of the leftovers on the second day. Wow. If you are able to make this in advance the flavors really meld together beautifully. The dill was a bit strong for me on the first day. Like others I added a fair amount of garlic, and upon discovering that my feta was a bit short I let folks choose their cheese. DH and DS loved it topped with shredded cheddar and I tried both feta and parmesan. All worked great! Thanks for posting, Toni. This one has been in my "to try" file since I saw it in Cooking Light years ago ;). Served with French Tart's Marianne Baguette - Traditional Rustic French Bread. Made for Healthy Choices ABC.
This was an excellent company meal to serve for a vegetarian couple. They loved it. The flavor was fantastic and every bit was gone. I used vegetable stock in place of the water and added a little extra based on the comments here. A salad and a loaf of crusty French bread made for a yummy meal. Very healthy and delicious! Thanks! It's a keeper.
Fabulous recipe; I made it in only 45 minutes total. I love green bean and tomato combo dishes, and I'm a bit embarrassed to say that this outshines my own posted recipe. I think it was the fresh dill that did it. I used 1 large zucchini, a 10 ounce package of frozen green beans and a 28 ounce can of fire roasted tomatoes. I replaced the water with vegetable broth, and plan to add more next time I make this, if only to leave more juice for a crusty piece of bread to soak up. Thanks Toni!