Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A very refreshing salad with unusual 'croutons'.
- 1⁄2 English cucumber, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 2 souvlaki pita bread, cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (or to taste)
- 1 garlic clove, finely-minced
- 1⁄4 red bell pepper, cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 1 tomatoes, chopped fine
- 1 small red onions, chopped into 1/4 inch dice or 1⁄4 cup diced red onion
- 2 ounces feta cheese or 55 g feta cheese, crumbled
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh mint leaves, finely chopped or 2 teaspoons dried mint, crumbled
- sumac (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place rack in middle of oven.
- In a sieve, sprinkle cucumber with a pinch of salt, let drain for 20 minutes, and pat dry.
- Put pita pieces in a large baking pan, drizzle with 2 tblsps olive oil, toss to coat, season with salt and bake, shaking pan occasionally, for 20-22 minutes, or until golden-brown and crisp.
- Check on them after the first 15 minutes to make sure they're browning evenly and re-distribute. Let cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, whisk together oil, lemon juice and garlic. Season to taste. Whisk until emulsified.
- Stir in bell pepper, tomato, onion, feta, parsley, mint, pita pieces and cucumber, and season to taste. Toss salad to combine well.
- Distribute between two large plates, sprinkle with sumac, if using and serve immediately.
This was a good, fresh tasting salad that was easy to make thanks Ev, and went well with our baked prawns and feta. I sprinkled some sumak over for an extra tangy finish.
I really, really enjoyed this pita salad for lunch today. My pita breads were a lot larger and a bit thinner than some of the other pita breads I have purchased in the past. Therefore, I used about one pita and a quarter of a second one and this worked out well. Probably because of the thinner texture, mine were perfectly done after 15 minutes. I did not peel my cuke, other than that, I followed the recipe as posted. I would say this yields about 3-4 servings. This salad is very fresh and flavorful and I enjoyed the dressing and the fresh mint. I did use the optional sumac. This is going into my keeper file. Made for ZWT9.
Very nice. Used only one pita, and omitted the mint (personal preference). Portions, even with less pita, were quite generous. Easy and tasty. Thanks!