A very refreshing salad with unusual 'croutons'.
Make and share this Greek Pita Salad recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 English cucumber, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 2 souvlaki pita bread, cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (or to taste)
- 1 garlic clove, finely-minced
- 1⁄4 red bell pepper, cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 1 tomato, chopped fine
- 1 small red onions, chopped into 1/4 inch dice or 1⁄4 cup diced red onion
- 2 ounces feta cheese or 55 g feta cheese, crumbled
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh mint leaves, finely chopped or 2 teaspoons dried mint, crumbled
- sumac (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place rack in middle of oven.
- In a sieve, sprinkle cucumber with a pinch of salt, let drain for 20 minutes, and pat dry.
- Put pita pieces in a large baking pan, drizzle with 2 tblsps olive oil, toss to coat, season with salt and bake, shaking pan occasionally, for 20-22 minutes, or until golden-brown and crisp.
- Check on them after the first 15 minutes to make sure they're browning evenly and re-distribute. Let cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, whisk together oil, lemon juice and garlic. Season to taste. Whisk until emulsified.
- Stir in bell pepper, tomato, onion, feta, parsley, mint, pita pieces and cucumber, and season to taste. Toss salad to combine well.
- Distribute between two large plates, sprinkle with sumac, if using and serve immediately.