Recipe by Irmgard
This is a fairly easy to make dish that you can serve for either a family dinner or for a dinner party. It is excellent served with a steamed green such as spinach or rapini, simply dressed with a little olive oil and garlic.
Top Review by AnnieCan
Simple and elegant! This was fun to make. Thanks for the straight forward directions. It was the first time I've really used phyllo and you made it so easy for me. It was great to be able to use fresh herbs from my garden for this. The seasonings were just right. I used good Greek feta and although it is much less salty than our Canadian feta I did not add any salt as per your recipe. As I said, the seasonings were perfect! I found the bottoms to be a bit soggy. Perhaps if I put the bundles on a rack I might avoid this. It did not effct the taste or the presentation one bit. This is a keeper Irmgard, yummy!
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onion
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄3 cup chopped of fresh mint
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 8 sheets phyllo pastry
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted
- lemon wedge
Directions See How It's Made
- In bowl, mash together feta cheese, egg yolks and garlic.
- Mix in onions, parsley, mint and pepper.
- With sharp knife held horizontally and starting at rounded side, cut chicken in half almost but not all the way through; open like a book.
- Spread feta mixture evenly on 1 half of each breast; fold breast over to enclose.
- Place 1 sheet of phyllo on work surface, keeping remainder covered with a damp towel to prevent drying out.
- Brush lightly with some of the butter; top with second sheet and brush lightly with butter.
- Centre 1 breast on phyllo about 2 inches from the short edge; fold long sides over chicken and roll up.
- Repeat with remaining chicken.
- Place in lightly greased baking dish; brush with remaining butter.
- If making ahead, cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.
- Bake in 350 degree F oven until crisp and golden, about 45 minutes.
- Serve with lemon wedges.