Prep 3 hrs
Cook 30 mins
This recipe has been posted here for play in ZWT9 - Greece. This recipe is from website: Realgreekrecipes.blogspot.ca. Recipe for Peinirli (pronounced peeneerlee). It is a boat-shaped bread with a buttery-cheese filling, though meat can also be added. Greek Kaseri cheese is best, but if you can't get this, then use a yellow cheese that melts easily.
- 500 g all-purpose white flour
- 500 g bread flour
- 50 g fresh yeast
- 100 g melted butter
- 200 ml milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 kg kasseri cheese, roughly grated
- 150 g butter
- 1 teaspoon oregano leaves, whole
- 8 ham slices (optional)
- 8 slices bacon, cooked (optional)
- Warm the milk to make it slightly tepid and put in a mixing bowl, now add the honey and dissolve it, then add the yeast and dissolve it.
- Mix the 2 types of flour together and then add 200g of this mixture to the milk and mix well.
- Cover the bowl with cling film and leave in a warm place for 30 minutes, to activate the yeast and rise.
- Put the remaining flour in a large bowl and add the salt and melted butter.
- Beat the egg in a little tepid water and add to the mixture.
- Add the flour and yeast mixture to this mixture and knead well, adding some tepid water to make a non-sticky pliable dough.
- Cover the bowl with cling film and leave in a warm place for approximately 1 hour until it has doubled in size.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal balls and roll each ball out flat and give them an oval shape.
- Spread the grated cheese lengthwise in the centre of each one. You can sprinkle a few leaves of oregano on top if you wish.
- If you are using ham and bacon, put the slice of ham at the bottom, the cheese on top of it and the slice of bacon on top of that.
- Looking at the dough with the oval-shape horizontal in front of you, take the top left and bottom right corners and fold them in a little bit toward the centre.
- Then take the top right and bottom left corners and do the same.
- Pinch the two ends of the oval together so that you get the boat-like shape.
- Cut the 150g butter into 8 equal pieces and place in the centre of each.
- Sprinkle a shallow oven dish with some flour, place the 8 peinirli on it and leave in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Then put them in a pre heated oven at 250 degrees Celsius for 20-30 minutes, until they are golden brown.
- Serve warm.