1/1 Photo of Greek Pastitsio
1 hr 45 mins
I loved my short time in Cyprus, the island with its diverse foods and gorgeous breath-taking scenery. This recipe does take time to make but so worth the effort.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (16 ounce) packet penne pasta
- 1/2 lb halloumi cheese, shredded (Sub Mozarella if Haloumi is unavailable)
- 1 lb ground lamb (or beef)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, minced (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 4 ounces halloumi cheese, crumbled
- 1Cook penne according to package directions. Drain, rinse with cold water to eliminate sticking, and set aside.
- 2Lamb mixture:.
- 3Heat olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium high heat. Brown lamb in two batches, seasoning with salt and pepper. Set lamb aside and pour off excess grease.
- 4Reduce heat to medium and add onion. Cook until translucent, about 5minutes. Add garlic, rosemary, oregano, and nutmeg. Cook another minute. Add wine and deglaze pan.
- 5Reduce wine to about 1 tablespoon. Stir in tomatoes, including liquid, and lamb. Season with additional salt and pepper. Simmer for about 15 minutes. Stir in Haloumi cheese and cook another 5 minutes.
- 6Heat oven to 400°F.
- 8Heat milk in the microwave on high for 1 1/2 minutes. Melt butter in a sauce pan over low heat. Whisk in flour and cook, stirring constantly, for four minutes.
- 9Slowly pour in hot milk, whisking steadily, and cook until thickened. Slowly whisk in egg yolks. Whisk in kefalotiri (Haloumi or parmegiano) cheese, cooking until melted and thick. Stir in salt and pepper.
- 11Toss pasta with shredded Haloumi or mozzarella cheese. Layer 3/4 of pasta in the bottom of 9 x 13 casserole dish. Layer meat mixture on top of pasta.
- 12Distribute remaining pasta over meat. Pour sauce evenly over pasta. Place casserole in middle of oven and cook for 35 - 45 minutes or until top is a golden brown.
- 13Serve with fresh crusty bread and a salad.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Greek Pastitsio
Serving Size: 1 (355 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 695.2
- Calories from Fat 306
- Total Fat 34.1 g
- Saturated Fat 14.6 g
- Cholesterol 144.7 mg
- Sodium 479.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 74.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.8 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 22.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: