Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 mins
This recipe was published in Southern Living Magazine. Note - this recipe requires advance chill time, which is not included in the times indicated below.
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 4 shallots, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 6 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon all purpose Greek seasoning
- 8 ounces penne pasta, cooked
- 5 ounces black olives, sliced
- 4 ounces diced pimentos (drain can)
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil over medium heat in large skillet. Add sliced mushrooms and shallots, and saute over medium high heat for 7 - 8 minutes, or until tender. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the remaining 4 tbsp oil, juice, mayonnaise, and seasoning, blending well. Add the pasta and mushroom mixture, the olives, and pimiento. Toss to coat.
- Cover and chill 8 hours before serving to incorporate flavors throughout.
This dish was served as part of a Greek buffet for a party and it was one of the surprise hits! Almost everyone asked for the recipe. It was so simple to make. Thanks for sharing a good recipe.
I made a delicious lower fat version of this recipe, and it was absolutely delicious: it didn’t taste like a lower fat dish at all! Always the yardstick! First I increased the mushrooms and decreased the pasta, simply because I wanted the dish to be more predominantly a mushroom dish. I sautéed the mushrooms and shallots (with 4 cloves of sliced garlic, added in the last 2 minutes) in a non-stick pan, so I used only a tablespoon of oil there. In making the dressing, I used only 1 tablespoon of olive oil (I figured that I’d still get the great flavour), 3 tablespoons of lemon juice (I love lemons so that was a great option for me), 1½ tablespoon of low-fat mayonnaise and 1½ tablespoon of Greek yoghurt, NOT a particularly low-fat option, but I love it, and this WAS a Greek recipe! That was slightly less dressing than the recipe, but it was ample. I used kalamata olives, and included the Greek seasoning and the pimentos. And I let it chill overnight. A fabulous salad, which I enjoyed with ClareVH’s Salmon-Rice Pie Salmon-Rice Pie. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe, PanNan; and now that I’ve worked out a lower fat version, I’ll be making this often.
This is a delightful pasta salad! I used a couple of cloves of garlic instead of the shallots as I prefer that flavor. I used Vegan Mayo and the whole wheat pasta I used was vegan as well. The dressing was very tasty and the salad definitely benefited from the chill time that allowed the flavors to blend. Thanks for sharing your recipe! Made for ZWT9, The Apron String Travelers