Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
This also comes from the Taste Of Home Cookbook. Originally from Dorothy Bateman, in Carver Massachusetts. Very eclectic dish, great flavors, and the cheese is wonderful.
- 1 (16 ounce) package elbow macaroni
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 cups milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. In a large skillet, cook beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, water and seasonings. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain macaroni.
- In a large bowl, combine the macaroni, egg and parmesan cheese; set aside. In a large saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour and cinnamon until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into eggs; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Stir in cheese.
- In a greased 3-qt. baking dish, spread half of the macaroni mixture. Top with beef mixture and remaining macaroni mixture. Pour sauce over the top. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until bubbly and heated through. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
I have made this several times from OH. While I really enjoyed it as written, the cinnamon and nutmeg throws my family. I now make it without the "sweet" spices. The white sauce on top really makes this dish. Thanks for posting!