Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
The egg and lemon based dressing is known as avgolemono.
Top Review by Lindseypinch
This dressing is very unique. I liked it, but the egg gave it a bit of an unusual taste. I think next time I might add a clove of garlic to the dressing and some shrimp to the salad. I think it would be excellent with the addition of some type of seafood. Thanks!
- 6 ounces orzo pasta
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, peeled seeded, and chopped
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1 cup kalamata olive, pitted and chopped
- 4 green onions, including tender green tops, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh oregano (or 1 T. dried oregano, crumbled)
- 2 eggs
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1 large lemon, juice of
- 1⁄2 cup hot chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground white pepper or 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the orzo by following the package directions for al dente.
- Drain and rinse briefly under cold running water; shake the colander gently to completely drain; set aside.
- To make the dressing: beat the eggs together with the lemon zest and juice.
- Pour mixture into a small saucepan over low heat.
- Gradually add in the hot stock, stirring constantly, until all the stock is used.
- Continue to stir until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon (about 4-5 minutes).
- Transfer mixture to a small bowl; set aside to cool.
- When the egg mixture is room temperature, whisk in the sour cream; add in salt to taste and the pepper; stir to combine.
- Transfer the pasta to a large salad bowl; add in the tomatoes, cucumber, olives, green onions, feta, and oregano; toss gently to mix.
- Pour the cooled dressing over the mixture; toss gently to coat.
- Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.
- Bring to room temperature before serving.