Recipe by DailyInspiration
A healthy delicious Greek dish which utilizes orzo pasta along with all the trimmings. Recipe appears in my America's Best Cookbook and was contributed by the Charlie Daniel's Angels Cookbook.
Top Review by Satyne
Very very yummy. I loved the toasted pine nuts. I omitted olives because I hate them, used greek basil because I could. Otherwise made as stated. Made for ZWT 9 for the Tasty Testers
- 1 1⁄2 cups orzo pasta, uncooked
- 1 lb fresh broccoli
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1⁄4 olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper flakes
- 3⁄4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can ripe olives, drained and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook orzo according to package directions; drain. Set aside.
- Remove and discard broccoli leaves and tough ends of stalks. Wash broccoli thoroughly and coarsely chop. Cook broccoli in a small amount of boiling water 8 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain well.
- Cook pine nuts in olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat 2-3 minutes or until browned, stirring often. Add red pepper; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Combine orzo, broccoli, pine nuts, feta cheese and remaining ingredients in a large bowl; toss gently. Serve immediately.