Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
A healthy delicious Greek dish which utilizes orzo pasta along with all the trimmings. Recipe appears in my America's Best Cookbook and was contributed by the Charlie Daniel's Angels Cookbook.
- 1 1⁄2 cups orzo pasta, uncooked
- 1 lb fresh broccoli
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1⁄4 olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper flakes
- 3⁄4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can ripe olives, drained and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- Cook orzo according to package directions; drain. Set aside.
- Remove and discard broccoli leaves and tough ends of stalks. Wash broccoli thoroughly and coarsely chop. Cook broccoli in a small amount of boiling water 8 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain well.
- Cook pine nuts in olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat 2-3 minutes or until browned, stirring often. Add red pepper; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Combine orzo, broccoli, pine nuts, feta cheese and remaining ingredients in a large bowl; toss gently. Serve immediately.
Very very yummy. I loved the toasted pine nuts. I omitted olives because I hate them, used greek basil because I could. Otherwise made as stated. Made for ZWT 9 for the Tasty Testers
Made as written, mmm, this is Excellent, Nancy! I was horrified to find as I started prep, that I had no feta cheese! Not knowing what to sub, I simply made it without ........ I will make this again with feta, but I've got to say, it's really really good even without it! super healthy too! very glad I tried this recipe, made for PRMR tag game, thank you Nancy!
This is easy to make, and I thought it would really wow me. I think part of the fault is mine. I think it would pair well with grilled chicken or fish, but my son wanted "bang bang" chicken, which is fried....just didn't go together! I'll try this again with some shrimp or fish....think I'd really enjoy the flavors more that way. I wasn't sure of the amount of oil....and wasn't sure if I was supposed to stir that into the orzo or drain the pine nuts and red pepper flakes. I drained, and think maybe I should have added it to the mix.....?