Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
A healthy delicious Greek dish which utilizes orzo pasta along with all the trimmings. Recipe appears in my America's Best Cookbook and was contributed by the Charlie Daniel's Angels Cookbook.
- 1 1⁄2 cups orzo pasta, uncooked
- 1 lb fresh broccoli
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1⁄4 olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper flakes
- 3⁄4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can ripe olives, drained and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- Cook orzo according to package directions; drain. Set aside.
- Remove and discard broccoli leaves and tough ends of stalks. Wash broccoli thoroughly and coarsely chop. Cook broccoli in a small amount of boiling water 8 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain well.
- Cook pine nuts in olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat 2-3 minutes or until browned, stirring often. Add red pepper; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Combine orzo, broccoli, pine nuts, feta cheese and remaining ingredients in a large bowl; toss gently. Serve immediately.
Very very yummy. I loved the toasted pine nuts. I omitted olives because I hate them, used greek basil because I could. Otherwise made as stated. Made for ZWT 9 for the Tasty Testers
Made as written, mmm, this is Excellent, Nancy! I was horrified to find as I started prep, that I had no feta cheese! Not knowing what to sub, I simply made it without ........ I will make this again with feta, but I've got to say, it's really really good even without it! super healthy too! very glad I tried this recipe, made for PRMR tag game, thank you Nancy!
This is really a wonderful combination of flavors. I love how nothing overshadows anything else. You do need to add an amount for the olive oil. I'm guessing you meant 1/4 tsp (I used more). I did steam the broccoli, and used the stems too after peeling away the tough outer skin.