1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 5 mins
A good hearty bread that reminds me of walking by a bakery and smelling the wonderful fragrance wafting out the doors. Enjoy! From Baltic Maid.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more as needed (240 g)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (150 g)
- 2 teaspoons dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 cup lukewarm water (240 ml)
- 1/3 cup olive oil (80 ml)
- 1 cup black olives, pitted and halved
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, slightly chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest (optional)
- 1In a food processor, combine the flour, whole wheat flour, yeast and salt. Add the warm water and the olive oil. Process until it forms somewhat of a dough ball. (If too dry, add some more water and if too wet, add more flour but it should be okay without adding more flour or water).
- 2Transfer the dough into a large bowl. With floured hands, knead the dough by hand several times. Then incorporate the olives and the rosemary(and the lemon zest if using). This part is a bit messy but keep kneading. The olives and the rosemary will be eventually incorporated.
- 3Form the dough into a ball. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Let the dough rise for up to 2 hours until it doubled in size.
- 4Punch the risen dough down and knead a few times. Form into a ball with the seam on the bottom. Place on a well-floured baking sheet. Sprinkle flour all over the bread loaf. Slash the top of the bread with a sharp knife or razor blade in whatever pattern you like. Cover with a towel, and let it rise again until it doubled in size.
- 5In the meantime preheat the oven to 425°F / 220°C When the bread has doubled in size, transfer the baking sheet into the preheated oven. Bake the bread for about 15 minutes at 425°F / 220°C Then turn down the heat to 375°F / 175°C and bake for 40 to 60 minutes until golden brown. Let it cool.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Greek Olive Oil Bread With Olives and Rosemary
Serving Size: 1 (839 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2139.9
- Calories from Fat 833
- Total Fat 92.5 g
- Saturated Fat 12.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 5659.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 289.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 26.6 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 46.1 g