Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A blend of mushrooms, tomatoes and orzo with a swirl of feta.
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 1⁄4 cups orzo pasta, uncooked
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (14 ounce) can Italian-style tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 lb fresh white mushroom, sliced
- 1 ounce feta cheese, crumbled
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add mushroom. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and mushrooms just release their liquid (about 6 minutes).
- Stir in orzo, tomatoes, chicken broth and water. Simmer covered, stirring occasionally, until orzo is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed (about 9 minutes).
- Stir in Feta cheese and serve immediately.
Wow, KelBel, this was a great side dish. The flavor was wonderful. I made as posted and it was easy to put together and it cooked in no time at all. I will be using this recipe often. Thanks for posting a keeper!
I love orzo. At the last minute I decided to add the whole can of tomatoes (28 ounces). Cause my orzo was not tender and it began to stick to the bottom. I added also a little bit of water. I omitted the feta cause I didn't have and it's very good. Thanks KelBel :) Made for Zaar Star Game.
A fun new way to use orzo instead of rice! I followed the recipe exactly; the only thing I had to do differently was at the end of the covered cook time, I had to uncover and continue cooking until I got the right consistency. Perfect!