Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
America's Test Kitchen
- 1 1⁄3 cups orzo pasta
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped of fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 slices hearty sandwich bread, torn into pieces
- 1⁄3 cup plain yogurt (ATK recommends against using Greek yogurt)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef (85% lean)
- 1 small red onion, grated
- 2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (1/2 cup)
- Bring 3 quarts water to boil in a large saucepan.
- Add orzo and 1 teaspoon salt and cook over medium heat until just tender, about 10 minutes.
- Drain and toss with lemon zest, lemon juice, 1 tablespoon mint, 1 tablespoon dill, half of garlic, and 2 tablespoons oil; season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile, mash bread with yogurt in bowl until smooth.
- Add beef, onion, remaining garlic, mint, and dill, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- Form mixture into 1 1/2 inch balls (you should have 24).
- Heat remaining 1/4 cup oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over med-high heat until just smoking.
- Add meatballs and cook gently, shaking pan and turning meatballs with tongs, until browned on all sides and cooked through, about 7 minutes.
- Spoon orzo onto serving platter, top with meatballs, and sprinkle with feta; serve.