Prep 30 mins
Cook 55 mins
Serve with rice or bulgur.
Make and share this Greek Meatballs in Tomato Yogurt Mint Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground lamb
- 1⁄2 cup plain nonfat yogurt, divided
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3⁄4 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon chopped of fresh mint
- mint sprig
- In a mixing bowl, combine the egg, lamb, 1/4 cup yogurt and the next 7 ingredients; mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Form lamb mixture into 1-inch meatballs; place on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake in a 400 degree oven for about 15 minutes or until browned.
- Lower oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- Transfer meatballs to a 2 1/2 quart baking dish that has been coated with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, whisk the tomato sauce, remaining yogurt, and mint; pour sauce over meatballs.
- Cover and bake 30 minutes; uncover and bake until bubbly (about 10 more minutes).
- Garnish with mint leaves.
These were pretty good. I added a tablespoon or so of mint to the balls. The yoghurt curdled in the sauce-didn't ruin the flavour, but didn't look so good. I would make this again though.