1 hr 30 mins
Serve with warm, crusty bread for dipping in the sauce.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/3 cup long grain rice, uncooked
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried mint
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 -3 cups chicken stock or 2 -3 cups broth
For the sauce
- 1Combine the ground beef, rice, onion, garlic, parsley, mint, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Add an egg and mix well.
- 2Pour some flour in a shallow pan. With floured hands, shape the meat into walnut-sized balls. Lightly roll the meatballs in the flour and shake off the excess.
- 3Heat 2 cups of the chicken broth in a Dutch oven, or large pot, until boiling.
- 4Carefully place the meatballs in a layer on the bottom of the pot. If the broth does not cover the meatballs, add a bit more broth until they are covered.
- 5Simmer, covered, on low for 45 minutes, adding more broth if there is less than 1 cup remaining.
- 6To make the sauce, beat the eggs in a medium sized bowl until frothy.
- 7Slowly whisk in the lemon juice. Ladle one cup of the pot liquid, little by little, into the egg mixture to temper the eggs.
- 8Remove the pot from the heat and add in the lemon/egg mixture, stirring gently.
- 9Heat over very low heat until sauce thickens and is heated through, making sure the sauce does not boil (which will result in the eggs curdling).
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Greek Meatballs in Egg-Lemon Sauce: (Youvarlakia Me Avgolemono)
Serving Size: 1 (322 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 464.7
- Calories from Fat 202
- Total Fat 22.4 g
- Saturated Fat 8.2 g
- Cholesterol 239.3 mg
- Sodium 302.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 31.8 g