Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Serve with warm, crusty bread for dipping in the sauce.
Make and share this Greek Meatballs in Egg-Lemon Sauce: (Youvarlakia Me Avgolemono) recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄3 cup long grain rice, uncooked
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried mint
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 -3 cups chicken stock or 2 -3 cups broth
For the sauce
- 2 large eggs (at room temperature)
- juice, of two strained or three large lemon, strained
- Combine the ground beef, rice, onion, garlic, parsley, mint, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Add an egg and mix well.
- Pour some flour in a shallow pan. With floured hands, shape the meat into walnut-sized balls. Lightly roll the meatballs in the flour and shake off the excess.
- Heat 2 cups of the chicken broth in a Dutch oven, or large pot, until boiling.
- Carefully place the meatballs in a layer on the bottom of the pot. If the broth does not cover the meatballs, add a bit more broth until they are covered.
- Simmer, covered, on low for 45 minutes, adding more broth if there is less than 1 cup remaining.
- To make the sauce, beat the eggs in a medium sized bowl until frothy.
- Slowly whisk in the lemon juice. Ladle one cup of the pot liquid, little by little, into the egg mixture to temper the eggs.
- Remove the pot from the heat and add in the lemon/egg mixture, stirring gently.
- Heat over very low heat until sauce thickens and is heated through, making sure the sauce does not boil (which will result in the eggs curdling).