Greek Meatball Sandwiches
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook onion and garlic until translucent, about 5 minutes. Allow to cool.
- In a large bowl, mix lamb (beef or turkey), breadcrumbs, mint or cilantro, cumin, salt, pepper and egg. Mix in cooked onions and garlic. Shape mixture into 16 meatballs (about 2 inches in diameter).
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons oil to the skillet; place over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, add meatballs. Cook, turning, until browned all over and cooked through, about 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- Cut tops off pitas and open, forming pockets. Fill each with four meatballs, sliced cucumber and tzatziki to taste.
- To make Tzatziki: Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Stir to blend. Chill until ready to serve.