- 9 ounces yogurt, Greek strained
- 1 egg
- 4 ounces margarine, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg yolk, beaten to mix with the milk
- 1 tablespoon skim milk, for the finish with the egg
- 1 cup flour, may need more to make a pliable but non-sticky dough
For the filling
- 1 1⁄4 lbs extra lean ground beef
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3 eggs
- 9 ounces regato cheese
- 4 tablespoons skim milk, heated, to make bechamel sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon flour, to make bechamel sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon margarine, to make bechamel sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon biscotti, crumbled can use other dry baked bread
Directions See How It's Made
- Filling: Place sliced onion in a colander. Pour salted boiled water over them, rinse and drain well.
- Add onions to a coated pan and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add beef, cinnamon, salt and pepper and stir well.
- Add 1/2 cup of water and boil until just the mixture is left.
- Transfer mixture to a mixing bowl and cool.
- Prepare béchamel Sauce by melting butter in small pan whisk in flour and add hot milk. Whisk.
- Add 3 eggs, cheese, bread and béchamel sauce to the filling and set aside.
- Pastry: Combine the pastry ingredients, except for the egg yolk/milk, in a mixing bowl.
- Knead it into a pliable, non-sticky dough.
- Separate the dough into 2 balls, one slightly larger than the other.
- Take the larger ball and roll out enough to more than cover your oven dish. Place it in a buttered pie pan, covering the bottom, and sides, going slightly over the edge at the top.
- Now place the filling on top of the crust and level it.
- Roll out the second dough ball and cover the filling.
- Butter the edge of the bottom crust and fold it over inwards to cover the edge of the top crust and make a border by pressing the edges with your fingertips.
- Mix the milk and egg yolk and brush the surface with the mixture.
- Poke a hole in the middle to allow the steam to escape and stick the rest of the pastry with a fork.
- Place in a preheated oven at 325F degrees for about 45 minutes, until it is golden brown.