This soup is proof that less is more.Delicious hot, it's even better cold, so plan to make it the day before you need it. Serve it in well chilled bowls and float a paper-thin slice of lemon on top. I got this from the Silver Palate Cookbook. Update: I have changed a few things to make this more user friendly, due to some of the reviews. So please read the reviews and make according to your taste.
- Pour the broth into a pot and bring it gradually to a full boil.
- Pour in the rice, reduce to a simmer,and cover.
- Cook for about 25 minutes, or until rice is just tender.
- Do not overcook.
- Meanwhile whisk the egg yolks and lemon juice together in a small bowl until well combined.
- When rice is done, remove soup from the heat and ladle 2 cups of hot broth into the egg and lemon mixture.
- Whisk this mixture back into the remaining soup.
- Return the soup to medium heat and cook, stirring constantly, until soup is just steaming.
- Do not let it reach a boil.
- Season to taste and serve immediately, or remove from heat, cool to room temperature, cover and refrigerate.
- Correct seasoning just before serving.
- Garnish hot or cold with lemon slices and chopped parsley.