Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
A dessert adapted from one of the wonderful Moosewood cookbooks. Times do not include extra time needed for pudding to cool.
- Combine 1-2/3 cups water with rice, butter and salt in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and lower the heat to a mild simmer.
- Cover and cook until rice is tender, approximately 20 minutes.
- Remove from stove and beat in the eggs.
- Continue to beat 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in sugar, lemon juice and peel, and vanilla.
- Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Sprinkle top generously with cinnamon.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Cover tightly and refrigerate until cold.
This is a wonderful recipe! I had my doubts about not adding any milk, but it turned out delicious. The only change I made was to add 1 teaspoon of Tangerine Liquor to give the citrus flavor a kick. Thanks for posting!
This is the most lovely lemony rice pudding! I used basmati rice and cooked it for 12 minutes and rested 5 minutes, then proceeded with the recipe. In fact...I made 2....one for the neighbours!!! Oh...and I used the zest in a whole lemon between the two. Thank you for sharing this yummy recipe.
Very Good! I have also had success replacing the brown sugar with Stevia.