Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This lemony, chicken rice soup traditionally uses eggs to thicken the broth, but to lighten it up, this version uses cream of chicken soup. Remember to use the fat-free and low-sodium variety of soup to keep it healthier. From Pampered Chef 'Good for You' Cookbook.
- 2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, pressed (or finely minced)
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can fat free low-sodium cream of chicken soup
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans fat-free chicken broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2⁄3 cup long-grain white rice, uncooked
- Heat a 4 quart stockpot over medium heat.
- Lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add carrots, onion and garlic, cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Stir in chicken, lemon zest, lemon juice, soup, broth and black pepper; bring to a boil.
- Stir in rice and reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer over low heat 15-20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in parsley just before serving.
My family lives it! Perfect for a nice easy meal and great for a cold day. I use orzo instead of rice.
Very tasty. Quick and easy! I decided to make it a little more complicated on myself, and added a couple of finely chopped celery sticks when I was sauteeing the onion and carrots. Well, actually, I sauteed the onion for 4-5 min first, then added the carrots for 4-5 min, then the celery for 3 min, then the garlic for 2 min. I like to sautee little longer than most recipes ask for, I find it really melds the flavors of the base nicely. Then I added the rest of the ingredients, and let it simmer on the lowest heat for about an hour. Again, I had the time, and wanted to let the flavors gel, since usually soup/chili/stew tastes better the next day anyway I wanted to give it some time. In any case, the results were a hit with my entire extended family. Thanks for sharing, it made a great family dinner!
The whole family really enjoyed this and my son went back for 2nds, me too! I used Cooked Chicken for Recipes - Barefoot Contessa Style to precook the chicken, cooled, cubed and set aside until 10 minutes before serving. Made as written. Served with The Ultimate Greek Salad for a perfect meal. Thanks for posting, Tee Lee. It's a keeper!