Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
A yummy, lemony dessert that hails from Greece! Adapted from CDKitchens.
Make and share this Greek Lemon Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- Preheat oven to 350*F. Grease one 10" tube pan or bundt pan.
- Sift the flour, baking soda, and salt together. Set aside. Separate the eggs.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add 1/2 cup of the sugar, beating until stiff glossy peaks form. Set aside.
- Cream butter or margarine, 1 1/2 cups sugar, egg yolks, lemon zest, lemon juice, and vanilla together until fluffy. Add flour mixture alternately with the yogurt to the egg yolk mixture. Gently fold in the egg whites and pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake at 350*F. for 50-60 minutes. Let cake cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a rack to finish cooling. Enjoy!
One of the best- no, maybe the best- chiffon cakes I've ever made. Mine didn't have much of a lemon flavor, but the overall flavor was great. It was moist with a very tender crumb and an excellent soft crust. It keeps really well and was still great 5 days later. (Cake flour is a must for chiffon cakes--- use of anything else, especially anything whole wheat, will guarantee failure!) I only had half the amount of yogurt and substituted sour cream for the rest, and I did add some cream of tartar to the egg whites. I'll use a little more lemon next time, but also will play with other flavors. This would make a marvelous trifle or tiramisu base as well.
A very light, lovely cake...I used 1/2 greek yogurt and half lemon yogurt and I used splenda for baking....it turned out perfect.
This made a delicious finishing touch to a great Greek menu. Made this as written and while the cake was good as is it was outstanding topped with Lemon Dessert Sauce. Thanks Sharon for another wonderful recipe.