Recipe by Sandi (From CA)
Lemon...mmmm! Courtesy Everyday With Rachael Ray Dec/Jan 2007.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
I'm a great believer in soups, & this one is no exception ~ IT'S GREAT! Definitely unusual for me, but GREAT! I enjoyed the lemon, especially, in this soup! Did almost double the amount of orzo, but used just the smallest amount of hot sauce! Certainly a keeper! [Made & reviewed while in Greece on Zaar's World Tour 4]
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 lemon peel (2-inch strip)
- 1 large lemon, juice of
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1⁄2 cup orzo pasta
- 2 large eggs, plus
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2 drops hot sauce
- flat leaf parsley, chopped (a couple of generous handfuls)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- pita chips, for serving (any flavor)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a soup pot, bring the broth, lemon peel, bay leaf and saffron to a boil.
- Stir in the orzo and boil for 5 minutes.
- Cover, remove the pan from the heat and let the orzo steep for 5 minutes.
- Discard the lemon peel and a bay leaf.
- In a bowl, whish the eggs and egg yolks, lemon juice and hot sauce.
- Whisk in ½ cup soup to temper the eggs, then whish the egg mixture into the soup.
- Cook on low heat, whisking, for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the parsley; season with salt and pepper. Serve with pita chips.