Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
One of my very favorite recipes (can't recall where I got it anymore)... easy and so delicious! Even non-lamb eaters like this one. This reheats very well. I serve it with a salad and pita bread.
- 1 boneless leg of lamb (approx. 3-4 lb.)
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1 tablespoon finely shredded lemon peel
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1 (10 ounce) bagof prewashed fresh spinach, chopped
- 5 cups cooked orzo pasta
- 4 ounces crumbled feta cheese (I use a lot more)
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts (to garnish) (optional)
- Trim fat from meat. Cut to fit into 3.5-6Qt. slow cooker. Combine oregano, lemon peel, garlic, and salt in small bowl. Sprinkle evenly over lamb and rub lightly. Place lamb in crockpot. Sprinkle with lemon juice.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high 4-5 hours.
- Remove lamb, discard fat, chop meat and set aside. Add spinach to cooker (with juices), stirring until spinach is wilted. Add cooked orzo, feta, and lamb; stir to mix.
- A sprinkling of toasted pine nuts (pignoli) is a nice touch.
I LOVE this recipe and make it often. Everyone goes to pieces over it, it reheats fabulously and is just left alone to cook. Simple and delicious!
Have no slow cooker so substituted with oven and hob-turned out very tasty although had to add some of the orzo stock to the mixture as it was a little too dry.