Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
With Melbourne the largest Greek city outside of Greece, we have many Greek restaurants and our magazines always feature lots of Greek recipes. This recipe is from the June 2006 issue of 'super food ideas'.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons plain flour
- 800 g leg of lamb, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onions (American) or 1 brown onion, diced (Australian)
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 zucchini, diced
- 1⁄4 cup mint leaf, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup kalamata olive
- 1⁄4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- salt, to taste
- 300 g pasta, cooked according to packet directions
- Place flour in a snap-log bag, add lamb and shake to coat.
- Heat the oil in a heavy-based pan, preferably non-stick, over a medium heat, and add the onion and garlic and sauté for 2 minutes; increase the heat to medium high and add the lamb and cook, stirring, for 5-6 minutes or until browned.
- Add the stock and the wine and bring to the boil; reduce the heat to low; cover with a tight-fitting lid and simmer for one hour.
- Add zucchini and cook uncovered for 10-15 minutes or until the lamb is tender and the gravy has thickened; season to taste with pepper and salt.
- Combine the mint, olives and feta and sprinkle over the stew.
- Serve with the pasta.
This was fantastic! I have made Greek stews in the past with slightly different ingredients, I increased the garlic way up to 8 cloves also added in some crushed chili flakes, and also did other amount adjustments, I used lamb shoulder instead of the leg, his tastes even better the following day, thanks for this great recipe Bluemoon!
I used a full 2 lbs. of lamb to make this stew, and it was full of meat! Also, I used half summer squash and half zucchini. This is a robust stew with a great mix of flavors. I especially loved the addition of the wine, olives and cheese! I have added this to my other stew recipes and look forward to sharing the recipe with my sisters! Thank you for sharing your recipe with us Bluemoon! Made for Newest Zaar Tag 3/09 Linda