Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
These are really like gyros on sticks and the dipping sauce is really a tzatziki!
- 30 -35 wooden skewers (6-8 inches long) or 30 -35 metal skewers (6-8 inches long)
- 2 1⁄2-3 lbs ground lamb
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 large cucumber, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried mint
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- To make kebabs: preheat the boiler on high or preheat outdoor grill. If using wooden skewers, soak them in water for 15-20 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine all the kebab ingredients and mix well.
- Roll the mixture into 30 to 35 sausage-like shapes about 2 to 3 inches long and place on cookie sheets.
- Place one skewer into the end of each lamb roll and broil or grill for 5 to 7 minutes per side, turning once, until cooked through.
- To make dipping sauce: blend all the sauce ingredients in a food processor or blender until smooth. Serve immediately or place in a covered bowl and chill until ready to use. Makes about 3 cups of sauce.