1/3 Photos of Greek Lamb Casserole
1 hr 20 mins
This was printed in our local paper several months ago. It is also one of those I clipped to make and then misplaced. It sounds so wonderful. I know if I post it, I want loose it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces eggplants, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 3/4 cup water
- 10 ounces lamb shoulder, well-trimmed, diced
- 28 ounces canned crushed tomatoes
- 3/4 cup fresh mint, chopped
- 3/4 cup fresh dill, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces orzo pasta
- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large egg whites
- 1Heat the oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- 2Add the onion and garlic; cook stirring frequently until onion is soft, about 5 minutes.
- 3Add the eggplant and water; cook stirring frequently until eggplant is tender, about 5 minutes.
- 4Add the cubed lamb and cook until longer pink, about 3 minutes.
- 5Stir in the tomatoes, 1/2 cup of mint, 1/2 cup of dill, salt and bring to a boil.
- 6Reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook 20 minutes or until lamb is tender.
- 7While the lamb mixture is cooking, cook orzo according to package directions, drain.
- 8Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 9In a small bowl, combine the yogurt, flour and egg whites.
- 10Stir the drained orzo into lamb mixture, spoon mixture into an 11 x 7 inch baking dish.
- 11Cover and bake 10 minutes; uncover spoon yogurt mixture on top, return to oven and bake until casserole is bubbly, about 20 minutes.
- 12Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup mint and 1/4 cup dill on top of dish and serve.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Greek Lamb Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (395 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 458.3
- Calories from Fat 122
- Total Fat 13.6 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Cholesterol 36.4 mg
- Sodium 659.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.1 g
- Sugars 10.5 g
- Protein 21.2 g