Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This was printed in our local paper several months ago. It is also one of those I clipped to make and then misplaced. It sounds so wonderful. I know if I post it, I want loose it.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces eggplants, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 10 ounces lamb shoulder, well-trimmed, diced
- 28 ounces canned crushed tomatoes
- 3⁄4 cup of fresh mint, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup fresh dill, chopped
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces orzo pasta
- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large egg whites
- Heat the oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic; cook stirring frequently until onion is soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the eggplant and water; cook stirring frequently until eggplant is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the cubed lamb and cook until longer pink, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, 1/2 cup of mint, 1/2 cup of dill, salt and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook 20 minutes or until lamb is tender.
- While the lamb mixture is cooking, cook orzo according to package directions, drain.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine the yogurt, flour and egg whites.
- Stir the drained orzo into lamb mixture, spoon mixture into an 11 x 7 inch baking dish.
- Cover and bake 10 minutes; uncover spoon yogurt mixture on top, return to oven and bake until casserole is bubbly, about 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup mint and 1/4 cup dill on top of dish and serve.
Euyeuoto! Delicious!! Seasonings are right on. I used ground lamb instead of shoulder meat. Really canâ€™t tell that the eggplant is there. Next time would drain the canned tomatoes first. This is huge so froze rest. I would probably omit the yogurt topping next time or sprinkle on a bit of cheese. Served with carrots sprinkled with cinnamon, Cumin Flatbread, and for dessert Yellow Melon Muscatel (Melon Salad). Thank you Paula for sharing. Made for the Unrulies Under the Influence during ZWT6.
This is great! I made a few minor changes by using dried dill weed and also in the yogurt mixture adding some feta that I wanted to use up and also added dried mint. Delish but makes lots! Thanks for sharing!
Delicious flavors, but next time I'll use about half as much orzo. I agree with the other reviewer that you don't even notice the eggplant. Also, I added some feta to the topping, which worked well.