Recipe by Pokey in San Antonio, TX
This method of roasting meat in clay pots or water jugs was used by women during the Greek War of Independance to surreptitously bake and bring food to their soliders in the mountains. Any clay or earthen cookware will do. I use individual serving size clay bowls.
Top Review by intrepidspoon
Excellent, EXCELLENT recipe! My husband and I first had this in Athens on our honeymoon. This was a great recreation of that dish. Easy to make and delicious to eat. Thank you for the memories!!!
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 2 1⁄2 lbs lamb (cut into 1 1/2 inch chunks)
- 12 small whole onions (peeled)
- 6 medium potatoes (peeled and quartered)
- 2 stalks celery (cut into 1/4 inch pieces)
- 4 -5 pickled jalapeno peppers (seeded and chopped)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley (chopped)
- 1⁄3 cup fresh dill (chopped)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 lb feta cheese (crumbled)
Directions See How It's Made
- For the dough:.
- Note--Make enough dough to cover the clay pot(s). I double or triple the recipe depending on how many clay bowls I need to cover.
- Place flour in a bowl and mix in salt and sugar. Make a well in the center and add water. Mix together until dough is formed. Knead for 3-5 minutes. Cover and set aside until ready to use.
- When ready, roll out dough on floured surface. Make sure the dough is large enough to cover the opening of the clay dish with at least 2 inches over hang. I divide the dough into the number of bowls I need to cover and roll out each separately.
- For the filling:.
- In a large bowl mix all ingredients except feta.
- Transfer to clay pot(s) and top with feta.
- Gently cover the container(s) and seal around the edge with your finger. A little water helps.
- Place baking dish(s) on lowest rack in cold oven and turn heat to 275. Bake for 3 1/2 to 4 hours.
- Turn off oven, open door, and allow to cool for at least 20 minutes before removing.
- Serve hot.