1 hr 30 mins
Shirl (J) 831's Note:
Currant-filled whole wheat pitas add a Greek flair to this unusual orange-scented bread pudding. From the Conagra site.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 medium orange
- 1 1/2 cups soymilk lite or 1 1/2 cups evaporated skim milk
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat milk
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary leaves
- 5 tablespoons honey, divided
- 3 whole wheat pita bread
- 10 tablespoons currants, divided
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups egg beaters fat-free liquid egg product
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 1Peel orange being careful not to break segments. Pull or trim away excess pith from peel; discard pith. Cover orange sections; set aside. Place peel in medium saucepan. Add soy milk, low-fat milk, rosemary and 3 tablespoons honey; cook over medium heat 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 2Spray 2-1/2 quart deep, round baking dish with cooking spray while heating milk. Cut the edge of each pita about two inches, then fill each with 3 tablespoons currants. Stack pitas on top of each other; cut the stack into 6 wedges. Arrange the stacked wedges in a circle around baking dish. If any currants fall out, add to dish.
- 3Strain milk mixture into separate medium bowl; discard rosemary and orange peel. Whisk Egg Beaters, vanilla and cinnamon into milk mixture until blended. Pour over pita wedges. Let stand 30 minutes. Meanwhile, cut reserved orange into sections by cutting between membrane; cover and refrigerate.
- 4Preheat oven to 350°F Sprinkle almonds over dish, then drizzle with 1 tablespoon honey. Bake 45 minutes, or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- 5Serve each stacked wedge warm or at room temperature topped with remaining honey and currants. Place a few orange sections to the side.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Greek Islands Bread Pudding
Serving Size: 1 (154 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 241.7
- Calories from Fat 22
- Total Fat 2.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 3.0 mg
- Sodium 199.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 30.5 g
- Protein 6.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fat-free liquid egg product