A tasty chicken dish - with a flavoursome blend of herbs, spices, vegetables and honey - which is nonetheless still reasonably low both in calories and in fat. Adapted from Paige Morehouse's recipe which appears in Prevention Healthy Cooking's 'Eat Up, Slim Down: Tried-and-true recipes and tips from real weight-loss winners' by Jane Kirby and David Joachim. Because the recipe contains several vegetables, it really is a stand-alone dish. When I've made it, I've added a bit more garlic (personal preference). The original recipe had 2 cloves of garlic; and I've included more like 8 ounces of mushrooms (again, personal preference). The original recipe had 3 ounces of mushrooms. I've always used kalamata olives when making this dish.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 boneless chicken breasts, skinned
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms
- 1 cup white wine
- 8 ounces bottled marinated artichoke hearts
- 1 ounce sun-dried tomato, dry-packed coarsely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 ounces Greek olives, pitted, halved
- 1 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 1⁄2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 4 lemon wedges or 4 lemon slices
- Warm the oil in a large non-stick pan (which has a lid) over a medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook for 5 minutes on each side, or until browned. Transfer to a plate.
- Reduce the heat to medium, add the onion and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes, or until the onion has softened.
- Stir in the mushrooms and cook for a further 10 minutes or until the mushrooms have softened and the juices have reduced.
- Add the wine, artichokes, tomatoes, olives, lemon-pepper seasoning, honey, salt, oregano, cinnamon and chicken.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Uncover and cook for 5 minutes, or until the sauce thickens slightly and a thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the breasts registers 70ºC/169ºF and the juices run clear.
- Sprinkle with the cheese and serve over rice with the lemon wedges.