Excellent for using up leftover roast or rotisserie chicken, with enough vegetables that it's great for you and tastes fantastic too. Invented on-the-fly one night after a roast chicken, but I think it would still taste great just made with pre-cooked chicken breast. Suitable for low-carbohydrate diets (Atkins).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 500 g roasted chicken meat
- 350 g sweet potatoes or 350 g kumara
- 350 g pumpkin or 350 g buttercup squash
- 200 g fresh spinach
- 1/2 brown onion
- 1/2 cup mild cheese
- 100 g feta cheese
- 300 ml fresh cream
- 1/2 cup homemade chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons coarse grain mustard
- 2 teaspoons garlic
- 50 g pine nuts
- 1 dash salt & pepper
- 1Peel the sweet potato and pumpkin and slice into 1/4 inch thick slices. Cook (boil or roast) until just soft. Drain, chop roughly and set aside.
- 2Quickly cook the spinach down until just wilted. Set aside.
- 3Toast the pine nuts under a grill (broiler) or in a frypan until brown all over, being careful not to burn. Set aside.
- 4Slice the feta cheese, and grate the mild cheese.
- 5Take the chicken meat off the carcase and break into bite size pieces.
- 6Set oven to 180°C.
- 7In a frypan, saute the onions (diced) in the chicken stock. As the onions approach being cooked (translucent) add the chicken, mustard, garlic, salt & pepper and heat through, then slowly add the cream, stirring frequently until the cream is at a light boil. Simmer, still stirring, for approx 5 minutes.
- 8Add the pinenuts and the mild cheese and stir through.
- 9In a lasagne or deep casserole dish, layer in thirds in the following order - spinach, pumpkin mix, chicken mix, feta slices, then repeat until the three layers have been achieved.
- 10Bake for 15 minutes.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Greek Inspired Chicken & Vegetable Bake
Serving Size: 1 (689 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1394.4
- Calories from Fat 1063
- Total Fat 118.1 g
- Saturated Fat 65.8 g
- Cholesterol 483.1 mg
- Sodium 769.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 7.5 g
- Protein 51.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
coarse grain mustard
salt & pepper