Recipe by Xiney
I invented this as a vehicle for feta cheese. My flatmates were all very impressed when I made it! I'm sure you could substitute chicken for beef if you wanted to. My original plan was to make chicken, but the beef was on special :) Prep time doesn't include overnight marinade.
Top Review by PalatablePastime
This was truly a different kind of dish for me, like a Greek stir-fry. The flavor of the marinade was good, and the black pepper, although prominent, was not too much. The beef, I felt, could have been made with a more tender cut, any better steak, etc. This was also the first time I ever had cooked cucumber. I'm not sure I cared for that- I think next time I prepare this I will leave it chilled and sprinkle it on top of the dish at the end. I do recommend using kalamata olives in this dish- I think it adds to the flavor. Thanks for posting!
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 lbs cubed stewing beef
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 cucumber, sliced thickly & slightly diagonally
- 1 large tomatoes, sliced in large cubes
- black olives (optional)
- feta cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the ingredients for the marinade (lemon juice, black pepper, salt, oregano, basil, garlic. The recipe gave me trouble in posting, sorry) in a plastic zipper lock bag.
- A large"freezer" quality bag is best.
- Add beef to bag, remove as much air as possible.
- Knead the beef between your fingers to encourage tenderness and to jump start the marinading process.
- Refrigerate for 6 hours or overnight.
- Remove beef from marinade, but don't drain it.
- Heat olive oil in frying pan and cook beef thouroughly.
- Remove beef from pan, set aside.
- Use remaining oil to sauté onion.
- Add salt to separate layers slightly.
- Add peppers, cucumbers and tomatoes.
- Re-introduce beef.
- Cook until tomatoes get tender.
- This won't take very long.
- Serve over white rice and garnish with feta cheese and black olives if desired.