Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Tasty Hummus with 5 variations. Some of the recipes are without the tahini and cummin.
- 1 (19 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed 540 mL
- 1⁄3 cup tahini
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- In food processor, puree together chick peas, tahini, lemon juice, water, oil, cumin and salt until smooth; transfer to bowl.
- Stir in garlic, (Hummus can be covered and refrigerated for up to 3 days.) Makes 2 cups.
- HERBED HUMMUS: Omit tahini and cumin. Stir in 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, 2 green onions, chopped, and 1 teaspoons dried oregano.
- CREAMY HUMMUS: Omit tahini and cumin. Stir in 1/4 cup herbed cream cheese, softened.
- BLACK OLIVE HUMMUS: Stir in 1/4 cup chopped oil-cured black olives.
- SUN DRIED TOMATO HUMMUS: Omit tahini, cumin and salt. Substitute sun dried tomato oil for olive oil and stir in 1/4 cup chopped drained oil packed sun dried tomatoes.
- ROASTED RED PEPPER HUMMUS: Omit tahini and cumin. Blend in 1/4 cup chopped roasted red peppers.
- Canadian Living Cooks Step by Step Daphna Rabinovitch.
This was really good, the best hummus I've made yet. I modified it a bit:
1) Doubled recipe
2) Used 36 oz of homemade garbanzo/chickpeas, drained and rinsed well
3) Increased the lemon juice by 1 Tbsp (2 Tbsp in total)
4) Increased salt by a pinch
I can't wait to try the other versions. Thanks for sharing!
This was just excellent -- my new favorite hummus recipe! A classicly yummy hummus with a great texture and the perfect blend of flavors. I added a bit more lemon juice and a lot more salt, since I used home-made garbanzos that hadn't been seasoned at all. I prepared half the batch of garbanzos using recipe #24412, and we liked the flavor and texture of this version much more.