1/1 Photo of Greek Honey Walnut Cake
A very moist walnut cake that everyone likes. I usually don't cut mine in triangles, but just serve pieces to my company.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 6 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest, freshly grated
- 1 (8 ounce) container plain low-fat yogurt
- 1Preheat oven to 350.
- 2Grease a 13x9 metal baking pan.
- 3In a food processor, with knife blade attached, combine walnuts with 1/4 C sugar and process until walnuts are finely ground.
- 4Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and cloves in separate bowl.
- 5In a large bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat butter with remaining 3/4 C sugar until creamy.
- 6Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 7Beat in lemon peel.
- 8With a mixer at low speed, alternately add flour mixture and yogurt, beginning and ending with flour mixture; beat just until better is smooth, occasionally scraping bowl with rubber spatula.
- 9Fold in walnut mixture.
- 10Spread batter in prepared pan.
- 11Bake 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- 12Meanwhile, prepare syrup: From lemons, grate 1 T lemon peel and squeeze 3 T juice.
- 13In a 1-qt saucepan, combine sugar, honey, lemon peel, and 3/4 C water; heat to boiling over high heat, stirring constantly.
- 14Reduce heat to medium and cook 2 minutes.
- 15Remove saucepan from heat and stir in lemon juice; cook slightly.
- 16When cake is done, transfer pan with cake to a wire rack.
- 17With a toothpick, poke holes all over top of cake.
- 18Spoon warm syrup over cake.
- 19Cool cake completely in pan before serving.
- 20When cool, cut cake lengthwise in half, each half crosswise into four pieces, and each piece diagonally in half to form two triangles.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Greek Honey Walnut Cake
Serving Size: 1 (120 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 348.3
- Calories from Fat 167
- Total Fat 18.5 g
- Saturated Fat 8.4 g
- Cholesterol 110.6 mg
- Sodium 265.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 28.0 g
- Protein 6.1 g