Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is such a fantastic cake!! Golden brown and slightly crispy on the outside, bright yellow and moist on the inside. The combination of lemon and honey flavours in the cake is really great. The sesame seeds give it a added twist to it. From the Cookbook Desserts by Rosemary Wilkinson. PLEASE DO NOT TRY THIS RECIPE, I HAVE MESSED IT UP SOMEHOW AND I CAN'T SOLVE IT. SO SORRY.
- 3 tablespoons margarine or 3 tablespoons butter (I prefer Butter)
- 4 tablespoons clear honey
- 1 lemon, juice and rind of
- 2⁄3 cup low-fat milk
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄3 cup semolina flour
- 2 egg whites, beaten till they form soft peaks
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- Pre-heat oven to 200C/400F Lightly grease and line a 7 1/2 inch square deep cake tin.
- Place margarine/butter and 3 tablespoon honey in a saucepan and heat gently till melted.
- Reserve 1 tablespoon lemon juice, stir in the rest with lemon rind and milk.
- Combine both the lemon mixture and butter mixture together.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and nutmeg, add to the wet mixture.
- Add the semolina flour into the mixture.
- Fold egg whites evenly into the mixture.
- Spoon into cake tin and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake for 25-39 minutes, till golden brown.
- Mix the reserved honey and lemon juice and drizzle over the cake while it is still warm.
- Cool in the tin, then cut into fingers to serve.