Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is one of my adopted recipes. I have made this for the second time today, 24th September 2005. I used 2 large thick chicken breasts which I sliced through horizontally to make them thinner. The potatoes I cut into thin wedges. I found the secret to this dish is to use a shallow baking dish (mine was about 1/2" deep). The first time I made this I used a dish which was too deep!!! In the original recipe it said to use 1/2 cup olive oil......I have changed this to 1/4 cup and feel this is better. The original recipe also said to serve with crusty bread or pita bread, however I served with steamed broccoli and carrots with a cheese sauce. Thanks to the original poster for sharing this recipe.
- Place chicken in a shallow baking tray.
- Arrange potatoes around chicken pieces.
- Scatter whole peeled cloves of garlic around chicken and potatoes.
- Mix together lemon juice, olive oil, and salt & pepper to taste and pour evenly over chicken and potatoes.
- Add some water until potatoes are just about covered. (but partly still above the water so that the tops will start to brown).
- Cover chicken and pototoes with generous amounts of oregano.
- Bake at 350-375'F/180'C, until tops of chicken are starting to brown. (about 15mins).
- Turn chicken and potatoes, and sprinkle on more oregano.
- If potatoes aren't at least half-covered with liquid, add a little water.
- Return to oven for about 15-20 minutes.
- Chicken is done when both sides are lightly browned and potatoes are browned on top and soft when touched with a fork.
- Serve with a crusty bread, or with pita bread, or, with other vegetables or salad.