Jen T's Note:
This is one of my adopted recipes. I have made this for the second time today, 24th September 2005. I used 2 large thick chicken breasts which I sliced through horizontally to make them thinner. The potatoes I cut into thin wedges. I found the secret to this dish is to use a shallow baking dish (mine was about 1/2" deep). The first time I made this I used a dish which was too deep!!! In the original recipe it said to use 1/2 cup olive oil......I have changed this to 1/4 cup and feel this is better. The original recipe also said to serve with crusty bread or pita bread, however I served with steamed broccoli and carrots with a cheese sauce. Thanks to the original poster for sharing this recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place chicken in a shallow baking tray.
- 2Arrange potatoes around chicken pieces.
- 3Scatter whole peeled cloves of garlic around chicken and potatoes.
- 4Mix together lemon juice, olive oil, and salt & pepper to taste and pour evenly over chicken and potatoes.
- 5Add some water until potatoes are just about covered. (but partly still above the water so that the tops will start to brown).
- 6Cover chicken and pototoes with generous amounts of oregano.
- 7Bake at 350-375'F/180'C, until tops of chicken are starting to brown. (about 15mins).
- 8Turn chicken and potatoes, and sprinkle on more oregano.
- 9If potatoes aren't at least half-covered with liquid, add a little water.
- 10Return to oven for about 15-20 minutes.
- 11Chicken is done when both sides are lightly browned and potatoes are browned on top and soft when touched with a fork.
- 12Serve with a crusty bread, or with pita bread, or, with other vegetables or salad.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Greek Homestyle Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (440 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 560.9
- Calories from Fat 244
- Total Fat 27.1 g
- Saturated Fat 5.7 g
- Cholesterol 92.8 mg
- Sodium 107.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 35.5 g