Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is one of my adopted recipes. I have made this for the second time today, 24th September 2005. I used 2 large thick chicken breasts which I sliced through horizontally to make them thinner. The potatoes I cut into thin wedges. I found the secret to this dish is to use a shallow baking dish (mine was about 1/2" deep). The first time I made this I used a dish which was too deep!!! In the original recipe it said to use 1/2 cup olive oil......I have changed this to 1/4 cup and feel this is better. The original recipe also said to serve with crusty bread or pita bread, however I served with steamed broccoli and carrots with a cheese sauce. Thanks to the original poster for sharing this recipe.
- Place chicken in a shallow baking tray.
- Arrange potatoes around chicken pieces.
- Scatter whole peeled cloves of garlic around chicken and potatoes.
- Mix together lemon juice, olive oil, and salt & pepper to taste and pour evenly over chicken and potatoes.
- Add some water until potatoes are just about covered. (but partly still above the water so that the tops will start to brown).
- Cover chicken and pototoes with generous amounts of oregano.
- Bake at 350-375'F/180'C, until tops of chicken are starting to brown. (about 15mins).
- Turn chicken and potatoes, and sprinkle on more oregano.
- If potatoes aren't at least half-covered with liquid, add a little water.
- Return to oven for about 15-20 minutes.
- Chicken is done when both sides are lightly browned and potatoes are browned on top and soft when touched with a fork.
- Serve with a crusty bread, or with pita bread, or, with other vegetables or salad.
This really didn't do it for me. The lemon taste was very, very strong and it took way longer than 20 minutes to cook. We couldn't eat much of it because it was like eating a lemon.
I added some sliced white onion, with some brine cured ripe green olives. The lemon I increased to 1/2 cup. Very delicious!
Very nice ,a lovely mix of flavours.as a small variation I added some finely chopped sundried tomatos whan I added the Oregano.